The Story Behind the Quilt: Bluebird Home Decor

_________________________________________________________________________________

I'm so excited about today's interview!! 
I get to show you how talented my sister-in-law is! 


Below is my sister-in-law (Jill) and my brother! They are the sweetest people you'll ever meet.



...and Jill makes quilts. AWESOME QUILTS!


Jill and my brother married a little over two years ago. One of the first Christmas gifts she gave my brother before they were married was a quilt that she handmade specifically for him. It was so well made that we were shocked to hear it was her first quilt. She truly enjoys sharing her craft with people, and her quilts are top-knotch! She started an Etsy shop called Bluebird Home Decor where she lists some of her quilts. Find out more about how she got started and the process behind her custom quilts!


Store Name:  Bluebird Home Decor
Owner: Jill Holdorf 
Product: Handmade gifts, sign, pillows, monograms, quilts

Tell us a little about how you decided to open up your shop!
I opened my shop because I enjoy expressing myself through art. It allows me the opportunity to be creative while also making a little money at the same time.  he primary goal of my Etsy store is not profit but to provide an outlet for sharing my crafts.

Where did the name for your shop come from?
I see the glory of God revealed in the beauty of creation. For this reason, I have always loved the outdoors and find that my art gravitates towards nature themes. In looking for a name, I wanted something that reflected my love for nature but also had a warm, country feel. I used a couple of different names before finally settling on Bluebird Home Décor. 

When did you start sewing? How long have you been making quilts?
Sewing has always been a part of my family, so I started at a very young age. When I was growing up, my mom made all of our clothes. When she completed an outfit, she would give me the leftover fabric to play with. I would use the scraps to make stuffed animals, outfits for them, and even handbags. For a period of time, I stopped sewing, but I was inspired to pick it back up when I enrolled in a textile design class at the University of North Georgia. In that class, I learned how to dye my own fabrics and combined that with sewing. 

I made my first quilt Christmas of 2011 as a gift for my future husband.  One day, he casually mentioned to me that he liked quilts, so I decided to surprise him by making a quilt for him. A family friend that makes the most beautiful quilts helped me get started. She allowed me to go through her fabric stash and pick out all the fabric that I needed. Then, she walked me through the process step by step. It was an incredible feeling of accomplishment to complete it and even more exciting to give it to him. (Quilt pictured below.)


How long does it take to make a quilt? (baby or queen size) What are the steps involved.
The length of time it takes to complete a quilt depends on the size, intricacy of the pattern, and the number of other projects I have at that particular moment.  To give you an idea - on average, a baby quilt will take 1 to 2 months, and a queen size quilt could take 3 to 6 months.  I have one quilt that took about a year and a half to finish.  The quickest I have ever made a quilt is probably around 1 month.

When making a quilt, the first step is to decide on a pattern, size, and colors.  I lay out most my quilts on the computer using a special quilting software called Electric Quilt 7.  In EQ7, I can design a pattern and change the size, colors, and details of a quilt with just the click of a button. The program allows me to add borders or sashing (the fabric that separates blocks and frames them).  I generally play around with the quilt in EQ7 until I am happy with it. 

After I pick the pattern and colors, it’s time to select the perfect fabrics.  This is my favorite part of the process because this is where much of the creativity comes out.  It is important to choose fabrics that match the style and desired look of your quilt.  Most of the fabrics that I use are made by Moda.  They offer a wide variety of modern and traditional fabrics, and Moda fabrics are sold at virtually every quilt shop.

Once I purchase fabric, the first thing I do is wash it. Fabrics should be hand-washed with a gentle soap (like Eucalan) and hung up to dry.  After the fabric dries, I start cutting out the pieces that I will need.  I have a wide assortment of rulers to help keep my cuts straight.  I use a rotary cutter and a mat to get clean even cuts. 


After I get all my pieces cut out, I start sewing them together to make blocks.  I like to finish all of my blocks and lay them out to get a better feel for the overall appearance of the quilt. The blocks are then sewn together to form horizontal rows.  The rows are sewn together to make the quilt top.  The last part that I sew onto the quilt top is the outside border. 


For large quilts, the backing may need to be pieced together. With the quilt top pieced, I am now ready to sandwich it all together.  I like to use 100% cotton batting because it is easier to work with and provides a more traditional appearance.  The three layers of a sandwiched quilt are the backing, batting, and quilt top.  I use a basting spray and special safety pins to hold the layers together.  It is now ready to be quilted.


Once the quilting is complete, the quilt needs a binding.  The binding finishes off the edges of the quilt.  The backside of the binding is one spot that I always hand sew so that the stitch is not visible.  The last thing I do is wash the finished quilt and hang it up to dry.


Will you do custom quilts for people? What does that process look like?
Yes, I am always open to doing custom work, and I am actually working on two custom quilts right now.  The first step is to find out what the customer envisions for the quilt. So, I ask questions like: Where will the quilt be used - a couch or a bed? What room will the quilt go in, and what are the colors in that room?  Are you looking for something more traditional, like a star pattern, or something more modern, like a chevron or herringbone?  


Once I have a grasp of what they are looking for, I draw up a few examples, develop a color pallet, and present possible fabrics to be approved by the customer.  About half of what I charge for a quilt is for the cost of fabric and materials, so I require a deposit before I actually purchase any fabric for a custom quilt.   Obviously, the cost and time required varies based on size and pattern complexity.  I like to take pictures of the quilt at different stages and share them with the customer to keep them updated on my progress.

What is your favorite quilt you’ve done so far, and why was it so special? 
I love all my quilts, because they are an expression of who I am.  But, if I had to pick a favorite, it would be “Vintage Christmas.”  It features fabrics from the Winter’s Lane Collection by designers Kate and Birdie for Moda fabrics.  The first time I laid eyes on this collection, I absolutely fell in love with the fabrics.  Although they are not traditional Christmas colors, the light blue and vivid red complement each other beautifully.  My favorite fabric in the collection features scenes of red birds in the trees.  Every quilt block is shaped like a Christmas ornament, and each ornament has its own unique pattern.  This variation made piecing the quilt more exciting and really adds interest to the quilt. (Quilt pictured below.)



Do you have a favorite Etsy shop to visit?
Honestly, I don’t have a favorite shop that I visit regularly.  When I am shopping on Etsy, I am normally looking for new fabrics or fresh ideas (and cute, rustic décor items). 

You also have a lot of photography skills! What is your favorite spot in Georgia to take pictures?
My favorite spot in Georgia to take pictures is CallawayGardens because it offers some of the most beautiful scenes found in Georgia - from the picturesque chapel to the lush, lakeside gardens.  I have always been captivated by the beauty of butterflies, and Callaway maintains a large, indoor butterfly sanctuary that is open virtually year round.  My second choice would be Tallulah Gorge State Park because of its incredible views, numerous waterfalls, and mountain scenery.


Jill, thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions!
All photos courtesy of Bluebird Home Decor.


Click HERE to check out Jill's Etsy Shop.  
If you are in need of a custom quilt, feel free to send her a message through Etsy.

Have a great day!
-Emily

No comments :

Post a Comment

1 09 10